So I've been taking a theology class this semester and like most people who take a one off class, I already think I'm a master theologian! Not really, it's actually pretty hard to wrap my mind around the things we're doing, but I am finding it interesting!
Anyways, we were talking the other day about God and creation and how without God, creation would cease to exist but without creation, God would still be. That we as created beings are completely dependent on God, yet He is not dependent on us at all. He doesn't need us. We do not complete Him or perfect Him or fulfill in Him something that was missing, because God is completely perfect. He is God and nothing we can do adds to that. The act of His creation did not make him more than He already was. I know this might seem fairly simple and obvious, and in some ways I already knew it but had never really thought about it much. When thinking about why God created the world, I knew it was because of His love and so that we could have a relationship with Him, but on some level I think that I always have thought about it in the sense that God was lonely. That He needed something to fill His life with and so chose to pour out His love on us. That isn't God's character at all. He didn't create us to fulfill a selfish desire of His own and by doing so, showed grace to us. No, He created us because He wanted to. He wanted to have relationship with us because of His love, not to perfect who He already was. I'm not sure if I'm quite conveying what I mean, I'm not a great theologian and I don't understand everything, but what a wonderful thing to know that we were made because we were desired. God knew that we were going to be a sinful, broken people who would reject Him but He still wanted us. He still chose us.
How incredible!
No comments:
Post a Comment