Monday, March 4, 2013

All the single ladies.

I've been wanting to write this post for a while, but I've always chickened out on the basis that it's going to be cheesy and also, it's just something that people don't love to talk about so much. Now I know what most of you are thinking, 'you're only 18 Lucy, get over yourself.' Well yes, but it's still something that I myself have struggled with, and I know many of my friends have too. And it's something that God has really been speaking to me about lately, so I feel that I should share. So please bare with me!
Since coming to university, I have been surprised at the amount of girls who I've heard the words 'I just really want a boyfriend' from or something along the lines of 'Just think - in four years time we'll probably be getting engaged!' Now I'm not judging, I've been just as guilty of thinking along these lines. It's the dream isn't it? To come to uni, meet your prince and get married at the end. If we're honest, it's what we strive for and day-dream about. And somehow we end up thinking that when we finally 'get' our guy, we'll have made it. We will be the happiest girl in the world, and life will be complete, or just beginning. However you look at it, you will have achieved some sort of goal. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not ridiculously cynical or bitter - I know love makes you happy, and that's great! But, sometimes we have the attitude of wanting any guy even if he's the wrong guy. And we pity those who haven't found their guy yet. Or we throw ourselves one big pity party. We are so guilty of idolizing being in a relationship.
Recently, I was reminded that our God is not a God of disappointment. It is impossible for Him to be disappointing and when we find ourselves feeling disappointed by Him, it's not because He let us down but it's because our expectations were wrong. His plan for us is more incredible than we can get our minds around and He doesn't want us to settle for second best. We so often label being single as being second best but actually it's God's will for us right now, and we can't be disappointed by that.
And the truth is, when we set our hearts on eternity and on Christ, then what does it matter if we're single? What does it matter if people pity us? What does it matter if a guy doesn't like you? What does it matter if we don't get roses on valentines day? We have a God who accepts us and loves us for who we are and gave us the greatest gift of all and wants us to give our hearts to Him.
Honestly, sometimes it's no fun being single. Sometimes we envy our friends who are in relationships and day-dream about when our big day will come, but our God does not disappoint and as always, we should be keeping our hearts and minds focused on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment