Wednesday, June 18, 2014

David Eunson.

I've wanted to write about my Papa for a while now, but have never felt I could write enough. There is nothing I can write that will fully describe the wonderful man that was David Eunson. A friend was talking to me recently and said that it is not the details of a person that bring us to know someone, but the person themselves that we grow to know and love. And so, I won't give you a detailed description of what he was like, but hope that you might catch a glimpse of who he was through what I am saying. But most importantly, I pray that you catch a glimpse of the God he lived for, because at the end of the day, that's all that really matters and all he would have wanted. 

When my Papa died, naturally it was heartbreaking. But, I had an inexplicable peace that I can't quite find the words to describe. The day I found out was the same day as the first snow of the year, and so I decided to take a walk down to the beach. As I was walking along the shore I wasn't really thinking of very much, when I suddenly got an image of my Papa dancing in heaven. Now, for those of you who don't know him - he was not a dancer. As a young girl, I famously asked my Granny who that 'strange little man' was that she danced with all the time, because it was not my Papa! He was many things, but a dancer he was not. But on that snowy day, I pictured him dancing with joy. He was home. His old, failing body returning to his Maker as a child. Forgetting the things of this world, and gazing at his Father. My whole being was filled with the peace of knowing that he had made it. He had run the race and was embraced at the finish line. All else fades. 

It doesn't mean that it wasn't hard. Nor that I don't miss him. I loved him - he was an incredible man. About as eccentric as they come and unbelievably stubborn, but an incredible man. He wasn't perfect but still made it. It's the beauty of the gospel - God's grace. My Papa knew and loved Jesus, and he knew that he was going to be with him. He was passionate about a great many other things, and loved my Granny and his family more than I think I'll ever know, but nothing compared with knowing Christ. 

For most of my life, my Papa was not the most emotional of men. In fact, I don't think I ever saw him cry. But towards the end of his life, he softened and let us all in that little bit further. I was touched at his heart. I always knew that he had a good one, but in those last few times I saw him, I saw a humble man. A man who looked back on his years and recognized the grace of God in his life and in the life of those surrounding him. I did not see a man who boasted in his achievements, or reveled in regret - but a man who knew what his purpose was. A saw a man who was still allowing God to change his heart right until the very end.

David Eunson will probably not be remembered on this earth for hundreds of years, though he was a great man. But he will be with his Maker for eternity. He will be with the One in whose presence there is fullness of joy. I praise God for my Papa, but praise Him all the more for His grace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment